Background 10.24.10

Sunday, September 12, 2010

My Quiet Sunday

There's little in life I enjoy than a Sunday with nothing to do but just exist. Today was that kind of day. How fortunate am I to have been able to spend the entire day in my home, with my beautiful Jacob running around acting like a nut, and Makenna, who's becoming more and more aware with each passing day, either asleep on my chest or staring at the world and/or randomly yelling for no reason in her playpen? There was football on TV, and Ben was home all day. It doesn't get much better.

While I tried to read my book (one I've had for almost a week and not actually started - a rarity for me but a consequence of having two small children),  Ben sat and studied and worked on homework. I looked at him, and was hit with a wave of pride, something that seems to happen more and more recently. My husband is so very intelligent, and I don't think he realizes it. He sells himself short too often. This is a man who, in high school, could do my Calculus homework without ever having taken Calculus himself. I don't know too many people who could do that. I just wish he would have realized that he had potential sooner. He's working towards becoming an MLT, or Medical Laboratory Technician, and he's already damn good at what he does. He barely has to study to pull A's in his coursework, and I know that that won't change now that he's in the program. He's working so hard to help our family have a good life. My God I am blessed to have him. I can only hope the man knows how very much I love him, and how lost I would be without him in my life.

The sweetest part of my day, however, was one of those spontaneous moments that can't be scripted but are worth more than anything else in the world. I was sitting on the couch, with the laptop in my lap. Makenna was asleep on my chest, and Ben had gone out to get lunch for us. My little man, my Jacob, came up, laid his head in my lap, and went to sleep. No poking and prodding to get him to take a nap today, and I had both of my babies asleep in my arms. As a mother, there is no greater joy in the world than the feel of my children in my arms, and if the world had stopped at that moment, I can think of no place I would rather have been. For today, at least, this was my bit of calm amid the chaos...

No comments:

Post a Comment